Fifth-grader Kenzie sets out to form an all-girls roller derby crew with her best friend Shelly, but things turn complicated when Shelly decides to woo Kenzie’s neighbor (and secret crush) to the team.
If you want a longer summary check The Derby Daredevils out on Goodreads.
Here are some additional facts about the book:
- The Derby Daredevils takes place in Austin, TX, the home of roller derby’s revitalization in 2001.
- The Derby Daredevils features a highly diverse cast both in race and LGBTQIA themes.
- The series will have rotating protagonists as each team member gets to tell their story.
- Book 1’s protagonist–Kenzie–is an #ownvoices story.
- The series is illustrated, with around 75 amazing illustrations by Sophie Escabasse embedded with the text.
You can buy The Derby Daredevils from the retailers below:
Kit’s recommended debut 2020 books:
ANA ON THE EDGE by A.J. Sass
STAND UP, YUMI CHUNG! by Jessica Kim
INTO THE TALL, TALL GRASS by Loriel Ryon