No Long intro today guys because as you can see from the title I’m like the luckiest girl in the world because I get to interview Katherine Webber, author of Wing Jones!!!
*Takes a deep breath* As ou can guess i’m so happy to have Katherine on my blog! Before I start the interview, as always i’m going to give you a short bio and her social media info!
Katherine Webber is originally from California but currently lives in London. She spent four years living in Hong Kong and has also lived in Atlanta, GA and Hawaii.
She loves an adventure, whether it is found in a book or in real life. Travel, books, and eating out are her favourite indulgences.
Her debut YA novel, WING JONES, will be published in the UK on January 5th, 2017 by Walker Books and in the US on March 14th, 2017 by Delacorte/Random House.
The film rights for WING JONES are represented by Emily Hayward Whitlock at The Artists Partnership
Katherine is represented by Claire Wilson at Rogers, Coleridge, and White.
You can find Katherine on Twitter at @kwebberwrites and alos on Instagram @kwebberwanders
First Question!What do you do when you’re not writing?
I’m reading! Or I’m going to book events—there are always so many amazing ones in London! Or traveling. One of my favorite things about living in London is how easy it is to travel to other wonderful cities in Europe. I also love exploring London—I’ve lived here for three years but I am still a total tourist!
Describe Wing Jones in 3 words?
Family, Hope, Girl-Power (totally one word!)
What can we expect from your next book?
My next book is very different from WING JONES, but hopefully if you enjoy WING you’ll enjoy the new one too. It’s a breakup novel set in Palm Springs, California about a popular girl with family secrets who gets her heart broken by the person she thought she could trust the most. Like WING JONES, it’s about self-discovery, it has a touch of magical realism, and family plays a very big part of the story.
What made you want to write Wing Jones?
I wanted to write a book about a girl runner, and the story grew from there. Why was she running? What made her running special? What made her special? I also wanted to write a story about a girl who fell in love but didn’t let falling in love define who she was. And I knew I wanted to set it in Atlanta, because I lived there for a year and I found it incredibly vibrant and inspiring. So all of that mixed together in my imagination, and WING JONES was the result.
What 2017 books are you looking forward too?
So many! A few that I’m especially excited about:
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I’ve been lucky enough to already read this and it is PHENOMENAL.
- A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard. Another one I’ve already read but think is so special and want everyone to read it.
- The Scarecrow Queen by Melinda Salisbury. The final book in Melinda Salisbury’s SIN EATER trilogy…I can’t wait!
- Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World. An awesome feminist anthology edited by Kelly Jensen from BookRiot. I don’t think it has a UK publisher yet—but I hope it will be pubbed here!
- The Ship Beyond Time by Heidi Heilig. I absolutely loved The Girl From Everywhere and am so excited for the sequel.
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. Laini Taylor is probably my favorite YA author so a new book from her is always cause for celebration.
Where are your favourite places in the world?
Another impossible question! I’ve been very fortunate to get to travel to so many amazing places in the world. A few of my favorites
- London (of course)
- Orange County, California (where I’m from)
- Hong Kong (the city of my heart)
- Koh Samui Island in Thailand (heavenly!)
- Amalfi Coast in Italy (The food! The weather! The coast!)
- Yunnan Province in China (specifically Tiger Leaping Gorge—the deepest gorge in the world and one of my favourite hikes)
- Maui, Hawaii (my family lived on Maui for 3 years and it really is magical)
- Hilton Head, South Carolina (I love it so much that I included it in WING JONES)
I would like to Thank Katie one last time for being apart of my blogmas and let you know you can pre-order Wing Jones on amazon now!